Saturday, September 18, 2010

Succulents






Not particularly my cup of tea these plants but they are brilliant for the garden in times of drought which we have been in for some time now, although we've had 3 weeks of flood and rain the cynic in me isn't entirely convinced it's over!

They aren't planted into soil but a mixture of sand and pebbles and some soil and can go ages without water as they store an abundant supply in their leaves.

All Cacti are succulents but not all succulents are cacti! That is many don't have the spiny leaves and are in a different family altogether.

Here's some pictures of the prettiest ones, when I enlarged them on the computer the design of them are really quiet intricate!

I do have aloe at home purely for medicial purposes - fantastic for sunburn and some skin disorders, otherwise my garden is largely succulent freee but I did enjoy looking at these ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment